Car Insurance – how to get the best deal
Car insurance is growing steadily and sometimes it happens that the cost exceeds the value of the car. Therefore, we recommend to check insurance on comparison websites and benefit from websites offering reimbursement for the purchase of so-called cashback. Therefore, below we present some simple ways to reduce your car insurance.
Try to make the car safer:
- park in the garage or on the driveway
- install immobilizer or alarm
- try to make the safety devices have been approved by Tatchman
Learn more about Tachman from their website thatcham.org/security
If you have a few discounts you should consider buying a car from a segment of popular brands. Insurance companies place a premium on cars that are popular and not expensive to repair. Also, you can see what cars are in the lowest insurance group.
The list of cars with the lowest insurance group (group 1):
- Chevrolet Spark 1.0
- Citroen C1
- Fiat Panda 1.1
- Skoda Fabia Classic
- Vauxhall Corsa Expression
- VW Fox
If you would like to see in which group is your car then you can check it out on carinsurancegroups.co.uk
Provide smaller amount of mileage. A lower value affects the amount of contribution
- prove that you are a low-risk driver. Part of insurance companies give discounts if you have Pass Plus. Learn more about Pass Plus on the government website gov.uk/pass-plus
- Add the second driver to an insurance policy. Adding the second driver may reduce the contribution, in particular if this is the driver with low risk. Even if you do not need to add another driver check on comparison website what will affect the reduction of contribution
- remember that in the policy you need to highlight, who is the main driver
What should you do to lower your insurance contribution:
- Pay the annual insurance contribution. In case of the monthly contribution for insurance ypu can pay more than 120 pounds. The actual rate reaches up to 30%.
- Do not pay for something that is not you need. For example, an insurance company adds to the policies the breakdown cover, sometimes at a promotional price, but it can happen that your bank account has already breakdown cover. It may happen that additional options will be cheaper in another company for example. insurance assistance or beakdown cover.
- Protect your discount. It is worth to pay extra few pounds to be able to retain your discounts in case of an accident.
- Sometimes if you increase the voluntary excess it will affect on the lower insurance. But remember that even if you will want to get compensation, you will get less money.
- Benefit from companies offering comparison of prices in different companies, ex. comparison websites. The most popular are:
- When insurance finishes, you should call and ask for a better deal. Be prepared and make yourself simulations before how much you can pay for. I know from experience that sometimes it depends if the company can give the best deal to just keep an existing customer. And if not then you can always thank them and move to another company.
- Not all insurance companies are on comparison websites. For example, Direct Line, Aviva, Zurich ceased cooperation with comparison websites and a policy you can buy directly on their website.
NOTE: I present private opinions and I am not responsible for the readers' decisions. I always try to present current information but may no longer be up to date. Therefore, before making a decision, please verify them and consult a licensed financial adviser. Please refer to the page: disclaimer of responsibility, to make you aware of the importance of the information provided.