Tax refund UK
The majority of peoples living in England do not realize that they should have a tax refund for washing uniform in the UK. In England it is called a Tax relief for expenses of employment.
If you are an employee and you use a corporate uniform that you wash at home that you need to return for 4 years back. If your employer washes your clothes that you cannot apply for a refund. On the website is the only information about specialist clothing as uniforms, but this concept is very general.
What conditions must you meet in order to obtain a tax refund in England:
- wear the official uniform with logo or customized for a specific profession (eg. a nurse).
- the employer requires wearing a uniform at work
- you must purchase or clean or replace the uniform and so-called safety boots.
- you paid income tax in the year in which you apply for a tax refund in England
How much can you get back from the paid tax?
You can apply for the tax reimbursement to the sum of £ 2,500 per tax year. You just have to fill out a form P87 available on the website of the government and send it to the below address:
Pay As You Earn
HM Revenue and Customs
If you have already made tax reimbursement in the UK for uniform then you can claim a refund by phone if the amount does not exceed £ 1000.
The most common amount is £ 60 (amount depends on the industry in which you work). The full list you can see on this website: it does not mean that you'll get £ 60, but your income tax threshold will be increased by £ 60 (ie 20% of £ 60, so you will get £ 12, in case of a higher tax threshold such as 40% refund will amount to £ 24). The current income tax threshold in England is £ 10,600 after filling out a form P87 and selecting the standard rate of reimbursement for cleaning the clothes that amount will increase to £ 10660.
For what should you have reimbursement?Buying, repair and replacement of tools to do the job, eg. a pair of scissors or an electric drill.
- Buying, repair and replacement of tools to do the job, eg. a pair of scissors or an electric drill.
- Cleaning, repair and replacement of uniforms for example, working clothes and shoes so-called, safety boots.
- The most common amount is £ 60. The full list you can see on this website: www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim32712.htm
What should you do to apply for a tax reimbursement for clothes in England?
- specify the address of the employer
- know the position at which you work and in what sector the company operates in which you work.
- National Insurance number and PAYE employer
If you fill out the form the so-called, tax code will be amended and the employer will be informed by HMRC. So you do not have to do again in the next fiscal year.
More details can be found on this page: https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees
If you still think tax refund in England as some kind of abstraction, in this case google may be helpful and type in the search engine phrase tax rebate for washing uniform in the UK and see forums in the UK and see how many people already benefit from this tax credit.
NOTE: I present private opinions and I am not responsible for the readers' decisions. I always try to present current information but may no longer be up to date. Therefore, before making a decision, please verify them and consult a licensed financial adviser. Please refer to the page: disclaimer of responsibility, to make you aware of the importance of the information provided.
Hey! My name is Radek and I work hard in England everyday and the thought that I will be able to retire after 68 years is not in my favor. That is why I will prove that it is possible at the age of 55 or maybe earlier. See on this blog how I want to achieve this.